Monday, July 20, 2015

Moving:(






Dear Everyone,

What a whirlwind of a week! So many people to talk to, and things to do, and still so much to get done! I don't know if it ever stops.  But, I am so glad. I love my life!

Where to start... the people!
Virginia is on her third week of quitting tea, and next week she is quitting coffee! it's pretty incredible, because she understands that if she doesn't know if it's a commandment from God, she's just going to have to try it out, and see if the promised blessings come. And already, she's seen blessings from quitting her tea. It's awesome, because sometimes, we don't understand why. I mean, how many times have we felt an urge to do something or talk to someone that makes no sense to us? But when we do it, we see why. I guess that's why we need faith!

We saw a lot of progress with our less active members this week too! Sister Parmely is going to start praying with her husband, because she wants to be in the temple with him again! And Bro Collins came to our Book of Mormon class, which was all about prayer, and having sincere prayers. It's always something I need to be reminded of. I have learned more and more that usually, I have already learned the lesson in it's simplest form, I just fail to remember and apply in every way I should! And then Bro Burgstrom. Man, we had a really spiritual lesson with him, and as we did, he realized on his own that there are some things he needs to work on, and that the Atonement lets us overcome our faults. That's something I have a strong testimony of- We can feel forgiven because of Christ's atoning sacrifice.

Oh, and Brother Hunt. What an incredible man, and a strong testimony. He too realized this week that there is something he needs to be changing. He had the coolest experience. He explained to us that when he was younger, he had a strong impression that he would never break a bone in his body. Well, he works in a factory, around a lot of heavy equipment. We had asked him to pray every single day, and even made him put a reminder in his lunch pail, where he looks every single day! He said that twice this week, he had very close calls with the machinery. Something broke, and dropped a weight on his hand, but it was just bruised. And then a slicer went haywire, and he barely pulled his thumb out in time. He said that he realized later , he had forgotten to pray on those days. He took it as a warning and a reminder from Heavenly Father of all the promised blessings he can have, but that he has things he needs to change. It was so neat to see that he was beginning to see more how involved Heavenly Father is in his life. He said he wasn't going to be missing any more days or prayer!

We also met an adorable couple with four kids, accidentally! we were looking for a member we hadn't met before, and knocked on the wrong house! but, I guess that's how the Lord works, in mysterious ways. So, we will teach them this week, more about the restoration! It's so sad, because they are just like so many people here: they don't believe in church because they have seen so many corrupt ones in their lives. Sometimes, I just want to yell to the world, "NO ONE IN OUR CHURCH IS PAID, IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY OR THE POLITICS! IN FACT, WE BELIEVE YOU CAN KNOW IF SOMETHING IS TRUE SIMPLY BY PRAYING AND ASKING GOD, YOU DON'T HAVE TO ASK YOUR MOM, PASTOR, BEST FRIEND, AND DOG!" but, im not sure how effective that would be, other than slightly cathartic for me :)

I also learned about a new past time this week: tractor mudding! basically, you take apart and build up a tractor with big wheels and a powerful motor, and then when it rains, you go ride in the mud. So like redneck four wheeling.... on a tractor :)

Yesterday we ate dinner with the Simmons family, who have two boys and four girls. Man, I am so glad that I only have one brother. Those poor girls! The boys are oldest, and are total jocks! The girls are too, but they just get picked on, haha! but they definitely all love each other, it's pretty neat. It was really fun to be with them. It was hard for me to keep the girls names straight though... definitely made me feel sorry for ever being mad that anyone couldn't get our names straight! But, it was so fun because I just felt like I was at home, with all the madness!

We also helped build a shed this week! It was fun, reminded me I have no idea about construction or building anything.... but it was good to learn. One of our members is a contractor, so he taught us a lot. Sister Theriault even used a HUGE nail gun! It was really hot though! I am just used to sweating now I guess. it took a lot of my energy for the rest of the day though!

The other adventure we had this week was trying to find a place to move to! We have been wanting to find a new home, but it's really hard in our town! And then, we found out that there are going to be another set of missionaries in Shelbyville starting in a few weeks! So our search to move became a search for a second apartment or house. After almost a day and a half, we found something that might work out. At least, we are praying it will!

Also this week, Sister Theriault reached her first month mark! And the day before, I reached my 18th month mark! So we celebrated with..... milkshakes!!!! :) of course.

Anyway, it's been a good week, full of fun and laughter. I can't believe I only have one more to go. I'll try to write a really good last email next week! I love you all, thanks for all the help you've given me! Remember to read your scriptures, they are the bread of life! President Andersen told me this week, "You head should NEVER hit the pillow at night if you haven't opened your scriptures!"

Love,

Sister Penrod

No comments:

Post a Comment